where did the term YHWH come from

The name of the Creator and that of his Son.

where did the term YHWH come from

Postby stromberg » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:56 am

In Exodus 3 at the burning bush the creator says to Moses
I am that I am/ I am that I become

In Hebrew it apprently Eyeh Asher Ehyeh...........

Then we have the tertrgramaton YHWH which is supposed to mean I am that I am

What is the origin of YHWH, who strated using the term YHWH
When did the term YHWH come into use
Why was the term YHWH chosen

I know that YHWH is numerically 10 -5 - 6 - 5 which adds up to 26 where 2 + 6 = 8 and 8 = infinity ( no beginning no end )

Why does the term YHWH mean I am that I am

what does YHWH have to do with Eyeh asher Ehyeh ?

...............Stomberg 20120312
stromberg

Re: where did the term YHWH come from

Postby -thinker- » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 am

Hi stromberg: Welcome to the Forums.

You pointed out [Exo. 3:14] and the words "I am that I am" or the same as "I exist that I exist" conveying HE is the self existant ONE. As you then continue to read in the following verse....

15 And Elohim said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt you say unto the children of Israel, YHWH Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my mentionl unto all generations.

The personage claims to be "the I Exist that I Exist" and then declares HIS NAME YHWH.

You asked.... "What is the origin of YHWH, who strated using the term YHWH
When did the term YHWH come into use
Why was the term YHWH chosen"

YaHWeH declared HIS own NAME and those whom YaHWeH chose to record, use the NAME all the time. Moshe (Moses) says it in [Gen. 2:4]....

Genesis 2:4
4These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that YHWH Elohim made the earth and the heavens,

All the Prophets except the Book of Esther record the NAME. It is in the Scriptures over 6,800 times so there is no question who the NAME belongs to.

You said...... "I know that YHWH is numerically 10 -5 - 6 - 5 which adds up to 26 where 2 + 6 = 8 and 8 = infinity ( no beginning no end )

.I recognize the numbers of each letter as 10 - 5 - 6 - 5, and I know the 8th day of the Feast of Tabernacles portrays a "period" without end not measured by time. I'm not sure of your reasoning of 2 + 6 since you are splitting bet waw to come to a number 8. Perhaps you can explain so that I can understand your reasoning.

The NAME YHWH means self existant one, and as James Moffat said in his translation, it is the Eternal, meaning without end from both sides. Unfortunately Moffat used the meaning of the NAME rather than us the NAME itself.

-thinker-
-thinker-

Re: where did the term YHWH come from

Postby -thinker- » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:59 am

As knowledge is increasing because of the printing press and access to the inter-net, certain subjects are coming under closer scrutiny. One of these subjects concerns the name of the Messiah. When looking in most English translations, we see the Greek name Jesus as the name of the Messiah and/or the Son of YaHWeH.

Sacred name groups think it is YaHshua.

Messianic groups think it is Y'shua.

Most every name in the Bible is transliterated from one language to another and is recognizable in pronunciation except when you come to this name. Apparently the Messiah had the same name as the son of Nun, the successor of Moshe/Moses. We see his name as recorded as Joshua. His original name was Hoshea.

Since it was the Father who chose this name because of it's meaning, what meaning did this name have? The word Jesus doesn't have any meaning in Greek so where did it come from?

-thinker-
-thinker-

Return to The Name - ha Shem